8. Parents
I don't even really know where to begin in describing why and how I am thankful for my parents. I think I grew up with the most amazing parents. I can't imagine a better mom or a more loving and wise dad. They grounded me with love and Truth, nurtured my relationship with God, prayed over and for me probably more than I'll ever know, cheered me on, picked me up when I fell down (literally and figuratively), encouraged me to try new things and not give up, helped me learn to think for myself, and showed me love, grace, and forgiveness time and time and time again.
I always, always, always knew they loved me. They showed me and told me in so many ways. They have taught me so many things, when I was in school, about God, about life. I always knew I could go to them with questions or concerns. I love that they taught me how to learn, how to pursue, how to think for myself. They did not simply tell me an answer, they walked alongside me as they showed ME how to find the answer myself.
My parents were not afraid to be silly with us--oh the road trip stories we can tell. :) But there was also always an understanding of respect and boundaries that they were our *parents.* They gave us freedom to be ourselves, as different from each other or from them as we may have been. They celebrated and rejoiced over things that mattered to us, or mourned and cried with us in hard times. But they always, always, always pointed us back the The One who made and knows us and our hearts better than any other. That is foundational and a life changer.
My mom is the best model of a mom I know. And my dad is the wisest and most discerning man I know. I am so thankful for both of them. I am so blessed always to have been close to them. My mom has always been and remains to be my best friend, along with Matt. ;) And my dad loves me so fiercely and gently it astounds me.
I truly cannot imagine better parents. May God help me as I am entrusted with my own children!
I really could go on an on, but the more I write, the more I'll feel like I need to say more or leave something important out. So I'm going to try to stop there.
I am thankful. My heart is full.
Tuesday, November 8, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment