Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Letter F

Since we're having fun doing preschool activities together, and I know I spend plenty of time scouring the internet for ideas to do with Asa, I thought I'd try to post now and then about what we've done.  Asa has a letter and theme for each week in his pre-K class, so that has been my launching point.  In particular at this point, I've been trying to narrow in on phonics (he can read simple phonetic words, but is just starting to take the initiative for that on his own sometimes), math, and fine motor activities.... trying to throw in some rules/procedures/following directions in there as well as some Bible verses and plenty PLENTY of FUN! :)

Here's a sampling of how we approached letter F...


1.  We'll often bury several pictures of that things that begin with the letter of the week in a pan of rice.  Asa has another sheet he matches these cards up with as he uncovers them all in the sand.

2.  Asa has a monthly Bible verse at school, so we always go on a hunt for that week's letter in the Bible verse.  Right now he's been highlighting the letter when he sees it.

3.  I choose a different verse for us at home, and he highlights the special letter in that verse as well.  Then he follows step by step pictorial directions to assemble a corresponding picture and glues the verse with it.  These are on cardstock, and we are making a book out of them. :)  For F we did, "Every good gift and every pefect gift is from above.  James 1:17." :)

4.  He used dot markers to follow an F maze of letters.

5.  He identified which numbers a frog was covering on number lines.  He loved this!

6.  He used dot markers again to follow a number maze focusing on 10-20.

7.  He identified the picture in a set that began with the initial /F/ sound.

No comments: