Thursday, August 16, 2012

Under the Weather

We've been a bit under the weather since the weekend, but we're on the mend!

Asa woke up Friday not feeling well, so we just stayed home all day and took it easy.  After her nap, Anna Reaghan developed the worst diaper rash she's had.  I set to work on it each change with Aquaphor or Balmex hoping it would improve.

On Saturday we went to our town's kids' festival.  Asa loved it!  I'll write more about it later. :)  Saturday night AR was up at 11, 12, and then I was with her from about 1-2 and then she was still awake (talking and laughing) in bed til 3:45!  Needless to say, she and I were dragging Sunday morning and something seemed "off."  Matt and Asa headed for church, and I stayed home with her so she could get a full nap and try to recover from the night's shenanigans.  After lunch we headed up near where Matt works for a craft show.  We bought Asa a giant cookie a treat and ended up also purchasing 2 clearance hair clips for AR (50 cents each for ribbon sculpture bows is a STEAL) and some secret things I can't talk about because they are gifts. :)

On the way home from the craft show, I started feeling really strange.  Hot and flushed all over one minute, then freezing and goosebumps the next.  The minute we walked through the door to the house, I had chills that wouldn't stop.  I threw on a long sleeved shirt and pants, but the chills continued.  I took my temperature and I was right on the verge of a fever, had a sore throat, and for the first time since BEFORE Anna Reaghan was born I could tell *I* was going to be the man down on Team Kubo.  Ugh.

My fever eventually spiked over 103 that evening--AFTER taking meds--so I took a cold shower and then slept on top of the covers hoping to cool down.  Thankfully that worked and then around mid morning the fever broke.  Whew!  My throat still hurt and kind of looked a mess though.

I trudged through Monday knowing my mom was coming Wednesday and a doctor appointment would be much easier to arrange with her here to watch the kids (good timing, eh?).  But Tuesday AR's rash was still not better.  In fact, it was weepy and oozing and I was worried it was infected.  The I started connecting the dots and was afraid she had a strep bacterial infection on her skin, maybe I had strep throat, and come to think of it when Asa wasn't feeling well Friday he woke up with some spots that looked like AR's rash did.. hmmmmmm  I took her in to the pediatrician and was told it's probably a yeast diaper rash, not bacterial (yea--at least it's not contagious)!  So we are treating her rash, and in the meantime my throat seems to be getting better on its own.  If it's still sore over the weekend I'll head to the clinic before Mom leaves town.  But I'm hopeful it may resolve itself on its own.

Anyway, this has been a huge reminder of how incredibly blessed I have been to be so healthy without a blip on the radar in SO long.  I had a brief bout of an asthma flare while I was pregnant with AR, but that's really about it since before I was pregnant with her.  Almost 2 years with barely a touch of anything?  I'll take that!  And I'm so thankful that feeling well and having energy have been the norm, as opposed to feeling less than human, having no energy, and body being wracked by chills.

AR is on the mend, I am on the mend, Asa seems fine, we're NOT contagious, and Daddy is well so far, too.  Praise the Lord!

1 comment:

Our Volunteer Family said...

Have you ever tried Resinol for diaper rashes? You have to get it behind the pharmacy counter - but you don't need a prescription. It is a miracle in a jar and we keep some on hand at all times. So glad you are feeling better!