On Saturday we headed to the same tree farm where we found our Christmas tree last year. Matt was determined we actually cut one down this year as we went *late* in the season last year and the fields were rather picked over. As a result, our tree last year was one the owners had cut down and made available in their barn.
This year we traipsed around the fields with Matt pulling a sled and saw, me wearing Anna Reaghan (who fell asleep for awhile), and Asa running along beside us. He ran and ran and ran. It was so sweet to be out in a wide open space away from roads and just let him RUUUUUN. He was happy as a lark. I took a million pictures trying to capture the joy of his little toddler steps, but nothing really quite did it justice. It's seared in my memory forever though (and almost makes me tear up to think about him not always being this age and stage... thank you, postpartum hormones.... can I blame postpartum hormones every time the thought of my kids growing up makes me cry--for the rest of my life? I hope so!). He's just the BEST mix of little kid on the verge of bigger kid right now. I love love love it. I can still hear him calling out, "Come on, Asa!" to himself as we walked around. :) You should have been there. ;)
Initially Matt wanted a giant tree--huuuuge circumference. It was his year to have the final say on the tree (we alternate who gets the final pick), so I tried to express some concern about it fitting in the dining room (where we have a bay window at the front of the house) but tried to be supportive as well of whatever he wanted. Eventually he decided the rotund tree was not all he thought it was cracked up to be. Off we went back through the groves again. I spotted one that Matt decided was THE one. Asa, Anna Reaghan, and I plopped down on the ground to watch Matt saw down the tree. Asa was ECSTATIC that the tree was going to ride in the sled. He though the whole process all around was pretty fantastic. :)
Last night we set up the tree, Matt put lights on it, and Asa put a few ornaments on (he was pretty engrossed in watching our Christmas chimes and couldn't be bothered to look away and put many ornaments on the tree). ;) We also had a special "tree decorating" dinner of snowman pancakes. You heard that right. Asa loooooooved them and asked for them again this morning. We just might have a new Christmas tradition on our hands with these. :)
I'll post more pics when the tree is fully trimmed with ornaments. And hopefully I'll get some decent shots of the kids in front of the tree, too. :)
Monday, December 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment