Sunday, November 6, 2011

Thankful 6

Today, on my birthday, I am thankful for another year.  In particular, I am thankful for all the changes of the past year.

A year ago, I was still feeling so new to Ohio and rather friendless.  The ache I had for Florida was truly a daily thing, if not hourly.  I knew God had clearly led us to Ohio, but that didn't mean I liked it. ;)  A year ago today, I was newly pregnant with Anna Reaghan.  In fact, it was on my parents' visit to Ohio to celebrate my birthday that we told them (and then called Matt's parents to tell them) I was expecting!  We had only known for about a week or so!  I was trying to wrap my ahead around the idea of having a baby a little sooner than we thought we would have another baby, much less in a place where I knew few people and didn't have doctors.  It was overwhelming at times.  A year ago we lived in a townhouse we rented that more than met our needs but did not feel like home.

Over the past year, I have adjusted to Ohio more.  I still miss Florida and probably will always (or for a long time) feel wistful about moving so suddenly and leaving the place that was our first home together.  But I don't think about Florida every day anymore.  God has given us a sweet life and routines here.  He has blessed us with friends over the past year--something that took longer than a year to form when we moved to FL actually.  I have learned to brave driving in the snow! :)  And as I'm typing this, Anna Reaghan, the baby we had just learned about a year ago, is sitting in my lap wiggling and smiling.  We found doctors, wonderful doctors even!  Eight months ago we moved to a different rental, and this one feels like home.  We have also traded my Accord for a minivan!

And for a bit of humor, a year ago Asa had just started sleeping through the night.  Now we're back at square one with a new baby. ;)  What a difference a year makes!  Thank you, God, for teaching me so much and filling our lives with people, lessons, memories, and peace in the last year.

No comments: