Friday, June 4, 2010

Unload Overload

So my first few days here were spent in a house completely devoid of any furniture except: 1 borrowed love seat, one coffee table (with tv on it), 2 air mattresses, and a pack & play.  Oh do we ever have the opposite "problem" now!

Our movers came yesterday, and now the house is filled with boxes and furniture. The amazing thing is that we still have room to spare.  We have just over 200 square feet more here, but we lost 2 "rooms" (3 bedrooms to 2 bedrooms, and separate living, dining, and family rooms to one great room) and no longer have a garage, attic, or shed for storage.  I wasn't sure how that would all even out.  Our plan was to use the GIANT laundry/utility room in the basement here for storage of things from the garage and attic.  I was slightly concerned we would run out of room.  I was SHOCKED when the movers left yesterday and I checked the laundry room.  Quite the contrary!  It's only 1/4-1/3 full of boxes and ladders and mowers (oh my!).  AMAZING and a huge praise.

Sammy wasn't particularly thrilled with yesterday's activities.  In Florida, we sent her for a "day stay" at our vet.  I knew she'd be a wreck and that the doors to the house would be wide open.  It was much better for her to be out of the house.  On this end, we ended up moving her crate to Asa's bathroom.  She cried and barked for about 30 minutes, which Matt felt supremely badly about because our neighbor on that side works 3rd shift and was probably trying to sleep.  Thankfully Sammy got the message we were NOT coming to free her and settled down about a half hour later.  I don't think I heard another peep from her until we let her out after the movers left.  Asa even took a nap in OUR bathroom in the pack and play!  That was especially appreciated as my attempt to get him to fall asleep in the car during his morning nap lasted all of 15-20 minutes (though that is the typical max nap for him on a car trip.  He dozes just long enough to take the edge off and limp along til the next nap attempt).

We have our back patio mostly set up.  Matt unpacked the tiles for the patio table and the cover for the grill.  There are a few odds and ends out there, but as least we can sit (and dodge golf balls) and enjoy the view.   The dining room table is also set up, so for the first time since Sunday, I got to eat at a table last night!!  Woo hoo!  The couch and love seat are *almost* where they will go, but definitely usable until our generous friend comes to pick up the table and love seat he loaned Matt when he arrived.  I unpacked our plates, saucers, and some bowls (I was really afraid the cabinets were not deep enough for our plates... we have about 1.5-2 cm to spare!), spices, cookbooks, baking stuff, cooking utensils, eating utensils, and left-over containers.  I assembled Asa's crib while Matt played with him, got his changing table/dresser back in order, and cleared a path to his chair.

Oh how I have missed that chair.  Our first few days here I was nursing him while sitting on the floor.  Let me tell you, it is not small feat to get yourself up off an air mattress (several times) in the middle of the night only to sit back down on the floor to feed a baby and then return to the air mattress.... only to do it all over again a few hours later.  Asa wasn't feeding as comfortably on the floor either, so I was pretty sore.  A folding chair procured at Walmart helped us make it til move-in day, and now I can sit and rock to our hearts' content in his chair.  Happy sigh. :)

We made our bed, but I have not found the box with our comforter yet.  I did locate shams and throw pillows.  I know it will all just be a process and to take it one day at a time.  And I can imagine how much space it will feel like we get back when the boxes are cleared out!  Right now you can't walk a foot without running into a box. :)

There's a little update on us!  I need to run to the bank and Walmart (Asa's old room faced south and his new room faces north... he is waking up with the sun--and needs curtains to help curtail this new wake up!).  Then who knows what I will unpack during the next nap time!  I'll try to take some pictures once Asa is asleep.  I'm sure you can't wait to see the boxes. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YEA for a huge laundry room - and for a start on setting up rooms. I hope you're encouraged! You can do it! :) Love, Mom