Monday, February 22, 2010

I'd Rather Not...

Thursday night we experienced a first for Asa's we'd much rather have skipped.

At dinner, Asa seemed to have his biggest appetite yet. He ate 1/2 cup of peaches, 1/3 of a banana, 10 green beans, AND about 2 tablespoons of baby oatmeal. The most he'd eaten up to this point was about 1/2 cup of fruit (peaches or pears), 10-15 green beans, and 1 tablespoon of baby oatmeal. I was kind of amazed he was eating so much, but as we're trying to get him to gain weight I went with it. I did stop after the 2 T of baby oatmeal when he was starting to glaze over (he's been really good about letting us know he doesn't want anymore food).

At 11:15ish Matt came to the den from our room and said he heard Asa fussing. It was a typical time for him to want to nurse, so I headed back to the nursery. When I went to pick him up from the crib, he was soaking wet. I wondered how his diaper had leaked through his fleece pajamas AND his fleece sleep sack. Then I looked down ad saw that he and his crib were covered in throw up. :-( :-( He was COVERED (face, hair, etc.) and I just couldn't believe my eyes.

I called for Matt and had him get bath water ready. I got Asa out of his yucky pajamas :-(, but he threw up 2 or 3 more times before we got him in the tub. We thought he was done after that, but then he thew up a couple more times! When his tummy had been settled awhile, I offered him the chance to nurse. He gladly nursed, but threw it ALL back up less than 5 minutes later (thankfully I only offered one side). Every time we'd think his tummy was finally done, he's throw up a little more.

He was so pale, even his lips were pale. And he had the most pitiful, listless demeanor. It was heartbreaking to watch him panic initially when he was feeling sick and then eventually he almost seemed to resign himself to it. This was my first experience of something being acutely wrong with Asa that I could do nothing to stop. It makes me tear up to write about it! Matt and I both felt so helpless!

Almost 2 hours later Asa seemed mostly to be returning to his usual smiley, interactive self. He nursed a little and I waited a little while to make sure he kept that down. Then he finally went to sleep around 2:30. Hopefully we have seen the last of the throw ups for a LONG TIME. You are a trooper, sweet Asa! We are so thankful you are feeling better!

No comments: