No, I'm not talking about obscure yet delicious little restaurant. I am literally talking about a hole in the wall. As a homeowner, I guess you really just never know where a project will take you.
We had noticed water on our laundry room floor (thankfully in relatively small amounts) for a couple weeks. One culprit was a drain line from the washing machine backing up and dripping down the wall (lovely). That was fixed, but we still found water near the water heater. After further inspection we noted that it was rusted.... REALLY rusted. It was also 16 years old, when the normal water heater life span is 12-14 years. So, off we set to acquire estimates and decide on someone to install a new water heater.
We finally got everything lined up for this past Thursday. Matt worked from home (he and his boss are fabulous!), and our friendly, neighborhood plumber set to work. Only, in the course of trying to install the water heater, he discovered more rust. This time, it was the pipes in the wall that connect to the water heater. They were 50% obstructed by rust! Hmmm, I wonder if that's why we've had low water pressure at times? Anyway, that is on an outside wall, and our house just so happens to be cinder block construction (very common in our part of FL). They had to peel away the oh-so-up-to-date paneling around the pipes and then smash a hole in the cinder block! There is a hole in the wall the size of an entire cinder block! Thankfully, they didn't smash through both sides and make a hole to the outside. ;)
Matt told me about this when I called him on my way home. He went in to work when the plumber was done, so he was forewarning me about the hole in the wall. When I got home, I carefully checked around the bottom of the water heater. I decided it must not be nearly as bad as Matt made it sound, because I didn't see anything! The water heater must obstruct it from view--great! We'll fill it in of course, but that was a nice surprise. Then I stood up. I was eye level with this:
Ohhhhhh..... THAT hole in the wall. Great. We need to get some expanding foam to fill in the block and insulate the pipes, and then we'll decide how to finish off the wall.
In the end, I'm very thankful for a knowledgeable and honest plumber, a job well done, that the pipe did not completely burst and flood our house (especially while we were away over Thanksgiving or during Christmas!), for a more efficient water heater, and for more water pressure now (at least, *I* think so... I haven't asked Matt).
May the water heater live a long, hot, and non-leaky life!
p.s. Today there was a brunch after church. I decided to have some OJ to drink, knowing that it's supposed to help incite activity with the little one. I also know it's still quite early to feel anything. BUT, I have felt flutters and taps, and today after I drank the OJ I felt a very distinct, swift punch/kick from inside. It was almost like someone flicking me from inside....and RIGHT where the midwife found the heartbeat during our last appointment! So, I don't know for sure, but it was definitely exciting. :)
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
What a lovely wall treatment. :)
I'm glad the pipes are fixed - and the water heater has been replaced, though! YEA for feelings! Love, Mom
Post a Comment