Sunday, July 29, 2012

Six on Sunday

I missed Friday, so here's a little catch up

1.  Friday night we went to a pot luck picnic with church friends.  I made about 30 mini pizzas for a main dish contribution and some baked beans as a side dish.  It was fun to see Asa running all around our friends' yard with HIS friends--he was especially excited to see Clara and Matthew. :)

2.  Yesterday we had a pretty low key day.  Asa slept in til about 10:15!  Although he DID keep himself up til about 10 Friday night talking to himself and replaying the fun he had with his friends at the picnic. ;)  Sweet boy.  I'm so glad he slept in so he wouldn't be totally exhausted.  We took a nice walk after a dinner of grilled burgers, and then Asa got to play in the sandbox as well before bedtime.

3.  This evening we are having friends over for grilled hot dogs and brats.  They have 2 little girls--one Asa's age and another about 2 years older.  He is Matt's former boss, and we're so glad to spend time with them tonight!  Last time we had them over was Asa's 2nd birthday and we had NO "girly" toys at that point, I don't think, except Asa's new kitchen.  Now we have doll things and a "family house" (it's a doll house, but we're trying to make it gender neutral ;)) in addition to the kitchen stuff.  Hopefully our house will be a little more entertaining now for A and E. :)

4.  AR is working on tooth #4!  Number 3 popped through right around (maybe on?  I'm drawing a blank) her birthday.  It's not particularly visible, but a corner and part of the bottom have cut through the gum.  Now her other top front tooth is soooo close to breaking through.  The teeth on either side of those look like they'll be coming right on the center teeth's heels! I am soooo thankful for her amber necklace, as she seems quite at ease.  I'm seeing a lot of chewing, and she was nursing funny when #3 started bothering her more, but she's not waking at night or anything.  Whew!

5.  Speaking of nursing, Anna Reaghan is officially done.  I need to make a separate post probably, to hopefully encourage others who hit a nursing rough spot or just a baby who's difficult when it comes to nursing, but we made it to/past a year!  I saw the same strike-like hesitancy and reluctance bubbling up in her when her third tooth was coming through and did not want either of us to go through that anxiety and frustration again.  She was only nursing in the morning, and at that only upon my urging. ;)  I decided to enjoy one last feeding before teething made it terribly difficult for her again, and then try offering a sippy cup of rice milk the follow morning instead of nursing.  She acted like nothing ever changed.  I am in awe that we made it to a year, and I'm so thankful it was an easy transition for both of us.  If she were more comforted by nursing, I would have loved for her to keep going (Asa was over 18 months when he stopped), but this really was best for both of us and we made a good run of it!  My sweet parents sent a box of See's chocolates as a celebration of our accomplishment--I can have dairy  now too (in small amounts as my body adjusts to having it again)!  YUM!

6.  One of my friends going all the way back to middle school (who designed AR's birth announcements) started a fabric scrap swap on Facebook.  I was placed in a group with 5 others, and we each sent each other about 1 oz. of 4x4+ scraps of fabric (so you can use a regular envelope and one stamp for postage).  I mailed mine last week and also received all my swaps!  Asa loved seeing what was in each envelope, and the sizes are just perfect for fun, quick projects or appliques. :)  YEA!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I can't believe AR is getting so many teeth at once. I'm thankful she is still sleeping well! The fabric swap sounds like so much fun! Yay for new fabric. :)