Friday, November 11, 2011

Thankful Day 10

10.  Hope

So I missed actually posting this yesterday, but it's a good one (to me, at least).  It has been hard won.

Isn't it amazing how differently a hard situation looks when you have HOPE?  For the past 2 weeks, Anna Reaghan has cried through most of her feedings.  Unlatching over and over and over again, crying the whole time.  It's not unusual for me to end up in tears as well.  WHY is my baby crying while I feeeeeeed her?  The first week I chalked it up to a wonder week (and I do think that contributed).  But then it continued this week and I decided this was *not* normal.  Something was up.  She has a 4 month check up coming up, but I started scouring the internet on my own to see if I could figure out any leads.  I was hoping for SOME idea of how to talk to my doctor about it.

Enter:  silent reflux suspicions.  As I was reading, I began to wonder about the possibility of silent reflux (reflux without a baby actually spitting up a lot--which would be the most obvious sign).  I am not a doctor, so I cannot say for sure she has reflux.  But I CAN tell you I tried some techniques recommended for reflux babies, and AR is like a different nurser!  I tried propping her up at a 45 degree angle while she eats, and she ate peacefully.  NO crying!  NO popping off a million times.  NO tears.  Just happily and contentedly eating.  In fact, she was so peaceful and content, she put herself RIGHT to sleep.  In not more than 60 seconds after she was done and I gave her a paci, she was out cold.  I was so excited but almost afraid to hope (you know that feeling?  You have hope, but you're afraid of being disappointed and let down?).  I propped her again for her middle of the night feeding and this morning, and each time she has eaten in peace.  I AM SO THANKFUL!

I can talk to her doctor about it, and we'll see if she thinks AR needs meds or not, but either way this is a huuuuuge change over the past 2 weeks.  She's often unlatched more than Asa, but I assumed she was just impatient.  Now I'm wondering if she was uncomfortable when she did that, and as 4 months is usually the peak of reflux-y things, it became worse in the past 2 weeks and we finally put all the pieces together.  Thank you, God, for giving us these ideas to try.  And thank you, friends, for listening and encouraging!

No comments: