Monday, October 4, 2010

Crafting Streak

I am finding myself emerging from another layer of sleep deprivation now that Asa is consistently sleeping through the night.  And with my newfound "self," I have more energy, accomplish more in the same amount of time, and even have time left over for some fun things!  In general, I have been spending Asa's morning nap doing Bible study and then whatever housework needs to be done for the day--laundry, putting away clean dishes, picking up a room that needs straightening, etc.  Then when his afternoon nap rolls around, it's mine for the taking. :)  Lately I've been reading and crafting during his afternoon nap, and I'm having so much fun making things that have been on my "to do" list... or at least my "want to do" list.  Again, another "part" of me seeing the light of day.  I have to admit, typing this it seems like it's me, me, me and that feels really selfish. But over half of what I've been working on will actually be gifts. :)  And sometimes we need a little fill up time when we are pouring into little people 24/7... right, other moms??

Anyway, some of my projects I can only give sneak peaks for... but here are some glimpses of my afternoon nap productivity.


This is a gift that I'll post more about soon after the receiver gets it.  It took me a l.o.n.g. time to find fabric that I thought was a good fit for the project and the recipient.  I think I really did finally find it though and I am excited for it to arrive at its destination!



This is another craft to be given at Christmas.  I saw it on a blog and knew right away for whom I would make it.



The purse I've been carrying for the past 3 years (?) I got when we went to Edisto Island at a little craft boutique and then Joy embroidered my monogram on it for me.  It's showing its age and wear and more dingy than bright these days, so I decided it was time for a new bag.  I really wanted to use some fabric from my stash, so I started building around this brown fabric.  It turns out the 1/2 yard I had wasn't enough for the whole outside and I have no idea when or where I got it, so I went through my stash again looking for a complimentary fabric.  The finished product feels a bit more... .whimsical? than I probably would have set out to do if I'd had more of the brown fabric, but I like it nonetheless.  The pattern had a plain interior, but I added a zippered pocket (and managed to break 2 needles... in a row... in the process) and a strip of open pockets.  A mom can never have enough pockets. :)  I can already see them filling up with matchbox cars.... :)




I haven't started this quite yet, but I have noticed Asa really enjoys looking through the photobooks I've made of/for him on Shutterfly, Picaboo, etc.  Since the books have paper pages, they are not books Asa can look at independently.... or the would need a great deal of mending. ;)  I googled personalized board books and found one outrageously priced company and many, many blogs about repurposing cheap board books into something personal.  I picked up some board books at the dollar store and plan to use scrapbook paper, photos, and modge podge to make Asa some photo books of his very own that I can let him flip through all by himself without fearing for the rips and tears that come with paper pages.  I think he will really like them!  I'll let you know how it turns out. :)



And there you have my latest crafting endeavors. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love looking at your craft projects--can't wait to see the finished gifts. And a Mom definitely needs time for herself. We all need balance and you are finding yours. I read your blog every day but don't always comment. Especially love the pictures of sweet Asa. Have a great day Becca. Blessings~

Anonymous said...

Apparently I did sometime wrong with posting my comment. I should have told you it was me posting. hehe
Darlene

Our Volunteer Family said...

What a great idea for the board-photo books. Post a picture when you complete one - I want to see the finished product :)