Monday, June 28, 2010

Asa's First Birthday, part II

Okay, time for the actual birthday recap!

On Asa's actual birthday, he woke up shortly before we were headed for bed.  He's been having some restless sleep (I think it's due to either being smack in the middle of prime wonder week territory or this new point/label language explosion--even though his labeling is gibberish), so about once a week he wakes up enough that he won't go back to sleep but won't stay asleep in your arms either.  All that to say, he was momentarily asleep in my arms at midnight, so I got to sing him happy birthday (oh so quietly) before tucking him back into bed for the night.

I greeted him in the morning with another round of "Happy birthday!"  He had pancakes for the very FIRST time for breakfast and ate a whole pancake!  YUM!!  He and I played all morning, playing with toys, reading stories, just relaxing and doing whatever Asa wanted to do.  During his nap I finished his first birthday onesie.  I am very pleased with how it turned out, and Asa seemed to like it too once he woke up and got dressed. :)


We played with bubbles for the FIRST time (other than the bubbles the nurse blew at the specialist's office while she took Asa's blood prsesure) after Asa woke up. :)  Then I decided we need some sort of celebratory lunch, so we headed out and ate at Red Robin, just the two of us.  But FIRST we waited for the clock to read 12:39 so I could officially, officially sing him happy birthday!


I decided we needed to go out for a celebratory lunch, so we went to Red Robin just the two of us. :)  I planned to walk through Petsmart with him to let him look at the animals, bu our leisurely lunch ended closer to nap time than I anticipated.  Instead we took the long way home and played a little before nap time.


During Asa's afternoon nap I worked on getting his birthday cake ready.  He played some more after his nap while I finished things up.  We got to video chat with G-Ma so she could see the birthday boy on his big day. :)  Daddy came home early (yea!) and played with Asa while I took care of all my last minute details.

Asa had a yummy dinner of his usual favorites (peaches + butternut squash and green beans).  He wasn't particularly hungry though--he must have known the party was about to start. ;)  After dinner he got to wear his birthday hat (we had hats too, of course) and then we brought out the cake!




It was a birds nest cake, similar to the unbirthday cupcakes I made.  Asa mostly enjoyed digging into it with his hands.  He had no real interest in eating any of it.  He ended up trying a bite on his own, but that was it.  He's just not a big cake guy yet! :)





After making a sufficient mess of the cake, we cleaned him up and opened cards and gifts.



It was fun to see that he truly liked every gift!  We had thought through the types of things he enjoys when people asked us for gift suggestions, and EVERY gift was a hit!  He would leave my lap to go back to the gift he just opened when I would set a new one in front of him!  Asa received several books (books with sparkly pages and lift-the-flap books are his favorites right now), a splash mat to cool off with in the back yard (we tried it this weekend and he loves it), a sand & water table, a puzzle, a great set of cars, musical instruments, his very own remote control, and a play wallet (he LOVES our wallets), among other things.  This weekend Poppy & Nana visited and brought him some clothes, a wooden train, and Matt's old rocking chair!  So fun to see Asa in it now. :)




 After presents we had one tired little puppy!  It was upstairs for jammies and tucking into bed to close the evening.

I am amazed that he is 1.  I think that didn't really sink in until today.  One.  Not 4 months or 6 months or 10 months, but 1.  That is a BIG number in my book!  It doesn't seem possible!  I am so thankful for every second of the past year--I have loved each one with an overflowing heart.  Asa has brought us so much joy.  It is such a blessing and privilege to be his mom.  I can't even put into words how much it means to me.


We LOVE you, Asa.  Watching you grow and learn the past year, watching your personality shine, exploring with you, playing with you, laughing with you, sometimes crying with you. :)  I wouldn't trade a single thing.  How we pray for you to bring joy to others as much as you do to us, but especially for your life to bring JOY to our Lord!  We pray you come to know Him and love and serve him at an early age and for all the days of your life.  We pray the same to be said of you as is said of King Asa, "Asa's heart was wholly devoted to the Lord all his days" and "Asa did what was right in the eyes of the Lord."  We pray for you to be hard-working, gentle and strong, caring for your family, and finishing well like your grandpa whom you were named after.  We pray you reflect God's heart and that you know and share His grace.  We pray God's best for you, Asa, and we stand amazed at all He has already done.  In the past year, you went from a twinkle in my eye to 18.5 lbs. of LIFE.  You have weight and form and substance.  You have likes and dislikes.  You are your own little person, and we love who God is making that person to be.  We are so glad you are in OUR family and that we get to love and raise you.  You are one of the BEST gifts we could ever be given.  Thank you, Lord!  And we LOOOOOVE you, Asa!

No comments: