Monday, March 15, 2010

A Day in the Life of Asa...

My sweet friend Jessica posted a "show us your life" post about a typical day in her life with her daughter Hosanna. I thought it was a fun idea and a great way to capture where we are now. So without further ado, here's a snapshot of a typical day with Asa and Matt...

6:30ish Matt gets up and starts getting ready for work

8:00 Asa gets up or I get him up (sometimes we sleep in a teeny bit... it depends on how nights and naps have gone recently). He nurses and we usually get to say good morning to Daddy just before he leaves for work. We also read a story in Asa's Bible. We're going through different ones. We made it through the Jesus Storybook Bible, and now we're doing the Toddler Rhymetime Bible. Next will be the Big Picture Bible. It is a sweet time of reading about Jesus together, and then I pray for us.

Next we go to the kitchen and Asa sits in his high chair eating banana puffs and has his vitamin drops while I eat breakfast and take my vitamins. :)

Then it's playtime until about 9:30. We always call G-Ma somewhere in here. Usually while I'm getting breakfast ready or while we're playing.

9:30-11 or 11:30 Asa naps. Since we've been working on getting him caught up on weight now that his tongue tie is corrected, he nurses before naps too (we keep him topped off at all times! And it's working!). Sometimes I nap, too. Or I'll pick up a little around the house if needed, pay bills, etc. I check my email and browse blogs.

11:00 Asa wakes up and nurses. Then I get him dressed. I love picking out his clothes for the day. Do not believe people when they tell you there are no cute clothes for baby boys. :) Then we get to play more in the living room until 12 or 12:30 (an hour after he woke up)

12:00 Asa eats lunch! A typical lunch is peaches and pears with a cube of frozen baby food. He has oatmeal if he's still hungry after that.

12:30ish Asa is done eating lunch and we either run an errand or play and read stories (sometimes in his room) until naptime. He usually makes it until 1:45 or 2:00. If he had some type of trouble during his first nap (i.e. standing up and not sitting back down :)), he might only make it to 1:30.

2:00 Nurse then nap. I check my email again. Often I eat lunch at this point. I check my to do list and do what needs to be done. Maybe check the mail. Or even get to do something CRAFTY! :)

3:30 or 4:00 Asa wakes up and nurses again. This is another great "errand" window. Or we play. :) Asa might play while I fold laundry or put laundry away. Sometimes we'll check the mail together or go for a stroll around the block.

5:00 Sometimes Asa nurses again to make it through his tired part of the day until dinner time. We play some more. :) And we often talk to G-Ma. We might have an impromptu photo shoot. :)

6:00 Asa eats dinner. Currently that consists of peaches and green beans + oatmeal and maybe a Saltine cracker (minus the salt).

6:30ish Asa is done eating and Daddy gets home! If Daddy is not home yet, Asa usually plays in his exersaucer while I get things done. Once Daddy is home, he and Asa play. I often come watch/take pictures or play too. :)

6:50/7:00 We begin Asa's bedtime routine. In his room we change his diaper and sing a silly song while I put lotion on him. Then we sing a different silly song while he gets pjs on. Then I tick tock him like a clock :). Daddy turns on the sound machine and nightlight and we tell both of them goodnight. Then Daddy gets Mr. Owl (Asa's lovey blanket) while Asa and I turn on his little lamp. Then Daddy turns out the light an holds Asa while I get comfy in his chair. Then Asa nurses before bedtime. I get a few last cuddles and pray for him before putting him in bed. And just before I leave his room I turn off the light and turn on the cd player which plays "Sing Over Me."

7:30/7:45 Matt and I have dinner and have the rest of the evening to hang out together. Asa often wakes up 3-4 hours later (10/11) right now--his teeth are really bothering him! I am hopefully he will rest better once his top teeth come in... they've been giving him a hard time for several weeks now. He usually eats 2 more times during the night as well. Whoever said solids make your baby sleep did not meet my baby. But I love him all the same---3 hours stretches of sleep and all! :)

Our routine is pretty similar from day to day, but we have special events now and then. We have play group every other week. And some weeks or days are more errand-packed than others. :) I'm just so thankful I get to spend my days with Asa and my evenings with Matt. :)

No comments: