I have decided hindsight is going to be a very big part of parenting. I think we'll realize so much looking back that we question in the moment.
How many more pushes til this baby is born? You only know looking back.
How many hours of labor will it take? You only know once it's done.
Why is my baby doing ______? Is it ______? We'll only know on the other side.
What brings this topic to mind? Asa has been topsy turvy today! I guess it really started some yesterday, but today he's woken up from every nap 10-15 minutes early. He's gone from 9 feedings (on average) during the day to 11. He is impatient nursing, gulping for milk and pulling off once he gulps all the initial let down. If I offer the other side then, he gulps that down and then pulls off/nurses (back and forth). So we switch back and forth a few times. All this when he HAD settled into a little routine of eating every 2-2.5 hours during the day and being woken to eat every 3-3.5 hours at night. We were so looking forward to him achieving birth weight so we could let him sleep longer at night and all get some rest. Ha. Rest? Not looking likely right now, Mr. I-want- to-eat-every-2-hours-or-less-no matter-what-time-it-is. He's just fussy and not himself! I know babies change all the time, especially just when you think you have them figured out. But it's so hard not to know for sure what's going on with the little guy! I'm so thankful Mom is here to reassure me. :)
We have no reason to think it's a supply issue. On top of Asa's symptoms, I drank 2 liters of water in less than an hour and was still thirsty and I've been hungry all the time the last two days. Lastly, Asa is 3 weeks old. The lactation consultant said to be on the lookout for a growth spurt around 3 weeks.
So, nursing mamas, does this sound like a growth spurt to you?? I have to add one last thing. At the doctor last week for his 2 week check-up, the nurse said he was 21.5" long and that his head shape probably rounded out more causing the discrepancy in length from his birth measurements (22"). I measured him today, and he is definitely 22.5" at least (he was a bit squirmy).
Alright, so if you have any input, that would be great. I think this is one of those things we won't know for sure about until after it's over. If he settles back down in a day or two and his voracious appetite slows, we can most likely check off growth spurt. Please pray for our stamina in the mean time! Also, according to our scale, he is 8 lbs. 3.5 oz. We are hoping to take him Thurs. to be weighed for the official okay from the doctor (have to go this week). Please pray that the scale we have is accurate and that theirs is too, so we can stop being pestered about his weight! :)
Thank you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
Sounds like a feeding frenzy to me! Mommies all night and all day buffet! ;) It does sound like he is a growing boy! It is such a frustrating stage of trying to make sure he has what he wants in the midst of his frantically trying to consume all that he can. You are a fabulous mother and I promise that this to will pass...hang on!!! Even now our kids will go through growth spurts and you just sit there and say are you kidding me there is no way that you can fit more food in or that I can feed you any more. They just sit there shoveling it in! It is so much harder when they are babies because it just feels out of control and they are just so frantic to eat eat eat. Just keep drinking away and eating well to keep up with the milk demand that he is putting on your body. Praying for your heart as you walk through this crazy parenting thing! The best thing that I can share with you is that there are definitely seasons to parenting...they come and they really do go...I promise! ;) Also one last thing I have heard that sometimes hospitals will measure differently than pediatricians. I cannot remember the what makes the difference but I have totally heard of that before!
Praying for you as you walk forward in this new role! ;) We love you!
i bet he is having a growth spurt, indeed. emily would be extra fussy and seemed hungry earlier for a few days now and then and it was when she was growing. i think she had one probably around the same time, as well.
it is so hard when baby is fussy...i remember having a very difficult time at first with emily...loving her with all my heart but sometimes just had to let her cry so i could get something done or even take a bath because my body ached. i am not sure if emily was cholicy or what, but she fussed every evening badly for the first 8 weeks, until we finally got to where she could cut down to fewer feedings. i think she was having gas or something...i am not sure what we did that helped, but it things just seemed to get better. my doctor told me a couple of times that babies fuss and it is normal (he also told me emily was not having gas but was just fistey, lol), and it is so hard, but it is true. they just do not have any other ways of getting their energy out. but back to the growth spurts-i bet he will even out in a few days. does a pacifier help? that did help emily a little bit, and so did the anti-gas drops i gave her a couple of times. also i know i've mentioned the colic hold where you hold them on your forearm to their belly and their belly is parallel to the floor and you are walking around holding them like they are "flying"...if this does not make sense, i'll send you a picture. it was literally the only thing that would sooth emily sometimes, so it might not hurt to give it a try. i know this time is difficult, even though it is so wonderful. please know that it will get so much easier in just a few short weeks, and it will be a distant memory at some point in the next few weeks and months. i hope you can find some time to rest...i should have rested more when emily napped (and still should, but i don't...). if you need someone to talk to, please know i am here!!! seriously!!!
another thing that is so obvious but i wasn't doing well was making sure emily burped well post feedings. i think i was hearing that "breastfed babies don't need to burp as much as bottle fed ones" and not being intentional about getting a good burp. when i started focusing on this more, it helped. again, so obvious, but in my case i just wasn't seeing how important it was!
Post a Comment