Monday, July 20, 2009

The First Day...

...of the rest of my life!

Today was my first day with Asa by myself. My mom headed back to TN on Saturday, and Matt has been back at work 2 weeks now. I cannot tell you what a blessing it has been to have my mom here. It is so reassuring not only to have her around because she's my mom and best friend, but because she's done this before! That is such a blessing! :) She's still supporting and encouraging me by phone, text, and email though. :)

Anyway, I realized I want to blog what we're up to, but I was putting pressure on myself to have lots of pictures or lots of words. Not necessary. So here's a little rundown of our first day together, just Mommy and Asa. :)

  • You started off with a GREAT night! You slept so well, Daddy didn't even have to get up at all during the night! What a lucky duck. ;) You slept amazingly well, and then I even got to go back to sleep after you ate in the 6:00 hour. Thanks!
  • You still are kind of a cat napper during the day. Your tummy or changing sleep cycles wakes you up and you have trouble getting back to sleep. But we often get about 45 minutes of you napping. In that time Mommy runs to the bathroom, refills her water bottle, grabs a bite to eat, tries to listen to voicemails or check email, all the while wondering if you will erupt over the monitor. :)
  • For our morning extended wake time (I'm figuring out you like to be awake a little longer a couple times a day now--you're getting so big!), we took Daddy's cell phone to the post office to be mailed for repairs. You didn't like it so much when the stroller stopped moving, but I kept sticking your paci back in your mouth and that helped. :) You do love your paci. :) Then we ran a few stores down to JoAnn's just to walk around. I don't even have time to scrapbook or sew right now ;), but it's fun to look at the fabric and scrapbooking stuff. Oh the ideas I have brewing when you start napping longer!
  • You napped long enough for me to eat lunch!
  • For your afternoon wake time, you had a bath! We tried the yummy Mustela bath stuff Uncle Matt, Auntie A, and Sam gave you. You liked it! I'm so glad you like having a bath. :) Afterwards, you were ready to crash. :) We snuggled with the blanket Auntie Joy made you and your hoot owl and read the first story in the Jesus Storybook Bible. It put you right to sleep!
  • You slept right until.... dinner was on the table! Of course! Our sweet friends, Joe, Lauren, and Coco dropped dinner off. Daddy went and held you while Mommy ate, then we traded and Mommy fed you again. You like to eat a lot. ;)
  • After you and Daddy each ate dinner, Daddy held you so Mommy could take an hour long nap! Hooray! He said you were OUT COLD and he loved cuddling you so much he held you instead of putting you in your crib. I think he misses you when he is at work. ;) He was just about bursting when I came to get you to feed you. He loves us a lot. And if he loves YOU that much, and I love you that much, and God loves you even more than we love you, then that means He loves US that much too. Wow. We were both almost in tears saying how much WE LOVE YOU!
  • You ate and now you are down for the count again. We are so thankful you easily transition to 3+ hour sleeps at night. I usually have to wake you to eat! Once we are sure you weight is still on track, we can maybe let you sleep a little longer than 3 hours. Maybe even 4 (whoa). :) The pediatrician said we can already, but we just want to make sure we're giving you everything we can to grow!
  • You noticed your crib mobile today! I'm not sure it's in focus for you, but you were definitely paying attention to it when I turned it on today like you could tell something up there was moving. :) You also spent about 10 happy minutes in your swing and played sitting in your boppy for a little while. You still love the pack n play mobile and living room ceiling fan most of all. :)
Tomorrow morning I'm headed over to a friend's house to hang out for a little bit and get out of the house. Maybe for our afternoon time we'll take a little walk around the yard or even a stroll around the block if it's not too hot (ha).

We had a WONDERFUL first day together. God is so gracious and gentle with us to make it such a sweet day. You are a precious, sweet boy, and I am amazed every day that I get to be your mommy! Tomorrow you are 4 weeks old and on Thursday you will be a month old. I have a special project I am working on for Thursday--I hope it turns out! In the meantime, sweet dreams to all! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing what's on your heart - and details of your day.
It was sweet reading! I love you!
Mom

Brad Guilford said...

What a great post! Thanks for sharing about your day!