Monday, December 1, 2008

Surprise!

Thank you so much for the warm wishes. :) We are so excited to be sharing our news. We do not take a day of this pregnancy for granted, and we are so thankful and yes, HUMBLED, that Baby K still seems to be doing just fine! :)

2 pieces of "business," and then a fun story! :) #1 My brother, Brad, said I ought to make it a little more clear that THIS is now our family blog. You will not be seeing new posts over on the "mattandbecca05" blog, so change your Google Reader and RSS now! :) #2 This blog is our FAMILY blog, so it will not be all baby all the time. You'll still read about our daily happenings. For example, tonight we tried to Pedi-Paws for the first time with Sammy. It was SO much better than using the clippers! She wasn't exactly thrilled at the end of the first paw (we just did one tonight), but overall she did great (I won't mention the steady stream of milkbones she ate while we "introduced" her to the contraption!!). :)

Now, a fun story. I thought I'd tell you how I found out we are expecting and how I told Matt.

I had been feeling funny all week and knew (hoped!) there was a chance we could be pregnant. About half of what I was feeling could be attributed to normal hormone changes or to pregnancy, and about half seemed way too wacky to be anything but pregancy. But I just couldn't believe that we could really be pregnant right away. I tested early hoping to surprise Matt, but I misread the box and actually tested one day before its earliest detection. It was negative. I figured out my mistake, tried not to be disappointed, and purposed to wait until I was actually late before testing again.

But, Matt knew I was going to wait until I was late. I really wanted to surprise him somehow. So, figured there was no harm in testing again one day before I was late (which was still several days AFTER the test said it would start being effective for many people). So the night before I was going to test, I snuck a test into our master bathroom for the morning. On Sept. 30 I tried to casually bounce out of bed. :) My hands shook as I took the test. It had taken a little while for the negative test to show, so I exptected this to take a couple minutes as well. I glanced away (hands still shaking), and when I glanced back it was already positive!!! I couldn't believe it!! It was so surreal! I just started praying in amazement and trying to figure out how to act normally until I told Matt (and sneak the positive test out of the bathroom).

I went about my "normal" morning routines, and then I went to get Matt up. It was his last day as a hip engineer before switching to the knee development group. I told him we had a picture of him from his first day of working on hips, and now I wanted one of his last day working on hips. I took a few normal, "1, 2, 3...." kinds of shots. Then I asked for one last picture. I took a deep breath and said, "1....2..... I'm pregnant!" Matt just grinned the same silly smile as the other pictures because it TOTALLY did not register at first! Then he started to look really confused. "No you're not!" he said. "Yes, I am!" I replied. "Are you really???!" he asked. I started crying (happy tears), and said, "Really." Then I showed him the positive test and he came over and gave me the biggest hug and started praying and thanking God. :) I took one more test to show him we had more than one positive. :)

Then I had to head to work and act like everything was normal! Ha! :) I didn't even tell my mom on my way to work that morning! Matt admitted to checking the tests several times while he got ready for work, and even coming home to eat lunch and checking again. :) When I came home from work, he had left 2 knives in the shape of a plus sign on my chair at the computer. :) When he came home, he brought me a bouquet of flowers. :) We actually used those in how we told my parents..... and that is a story for another day!

1 comment:

Joy said...

Yeah for a new blog and a baby!!!